Thursday 8 December 2011

Multiple personalities

I was reading Penelope Trunk's blog which I find really interesting! She has among other things (Career, Management etc) written about 'how to blog', and is recommending that one always blog with your real name. I have chosen not to do that and I think it depends on if you are going for a professional career in the media or want to be famous for something or not. 

For me it makes sense to separate my life into 'Creative me' (supposedly this blog) 'Family me' (private friends & family blog) 'Gardening me' (yet another blog;) and my 'Political/society/media me' at Twitter. Of course Facebook as well where I have my network of friends and acquaintances, and LinkedIn where my professional me is with that sort of network - I am not friends with my managers on Facebook but on LinkedIn. 

Image from the web
I don't want my professional network necessarily know about my opinions about politics or religion that I can 'rant' about at Twitter and also not everything about what sort of pictures I take and so on. Of course if somebody really wants they can 'figure' me out and link the various pseudonyms. And some of my friends are both professional and private so they will know more about my different sides. 

So for now this makes sense to me in my situation :) Have you googled yourself? Do you know what people find when they search for your name? Is it all good? When I was hiring for my team I used to google the candidates and it did affect my opinion of them when I found certain pictures of them online for instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment