Wednesday 16 November 2011

Kelly Moore

I had to show you my brilliant bag from Kelly Moore that I got to store both baby stuff as well as camera & laptop gear! Brilliant I must say :) I was looking for a nicer bag a while ago when I was doing lots of business trips but didn't find any that really fulfilled my need, but this one does! So I can totally justify the price;)


Talking about combining things, in this case a bag that can be used in my job as well as as a mother - today I've been reading some very interesting articles about the trend currently with all these blogs about cupcakes and interior and how that apparantly is working against feminism and gender equality - we are supposedly going back to the 50's just because we appreciate making a nice home for our family and baking now and then. You can read about it (in Norwegian) first here and it has been commented here and here - very interesting read.

I do believe we should be able to do both - to be a career women and enjoy traditionally female activities, we are not men and should not try to be - why would we? We should use our strenghts as women in working life and together with men that creates a sucessful recipe - the same way that diversity with different cultures are creating successful businesses. Feminism is not trying to be men - I believe that freedom of choice to do the things we enjoy the most is what we have gained these days. In the 50's women did not have the same possibilites as we have today, now that we have a choice we can choose to stay at home with the kids if that is what we want - but we dont have to. I guess many women today try to achieve the right balance between work and home, having a perfect house and a good career is the goal. Of course this can lead to the 'good girl' syndrome of exhaustion but we need to be realistic and smart about it -and I think most women are! Nobody's perfect and bloglife is just a part of who we are:)

There have also been a lot of discussion about breastfeeding in the media lately - Audun Lysbakken has sparked a lot of heated discussion, can read more about him here. The discussion tend to get lost in is breastfeeding good or bad which is not his point, and people think that he wants to remove the woman's "right" to be at home as long as possibly with the baby, for those who are not aware we have very generous maternity leave in Norway, can stay home one year with 80% pay or 10 months with 100% pay!
He believes in equality and that women should not suffer in their career when becoming mothers, and that women should be able to go back earlier to work without beeing stigmatised, freedom of choice for the families. As well as the very justafiable right of the fathers  to spend more time with the baby the first year. I havent read his book "Frihet, likhet, farskap" yet - but have bought it for my husband for his first Fathers day! I will read it after he finishes. So a blogpost that goes from shopping to career & feminism to motherhood - thats me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment